Wednesday, July 29, 2015

I'm Living in the Maine of Brasil!

I have basically no time again, so I'm going to write as much as I can in 10 minutes!

I'm Living in the Maine of Brasil:
Weather here is so crazy! One day it's blazing and I'm doing everything I can to not die in the 95 degree weather...with humidity, and the next day I'm wearing a scarf and tights because it's raining and in the high 40s. What the what?! It makes for some really interesting contacting though! It makes for a lot of interesting things acutally haha.

Investigators:
We have some potentials, but nothing super solid. We had an investigator at church yesterday, but when we asked if she liked it, the response was not what we wanted. We got a, "ehh, mais ou menos. Eu vou ficar em minha igreja." Don't deny you felt the Spirit, dang it! Sacrament meeting was awesome yesterday!

Food:
It's funny how I can love the food here, but still get excited when something familiar presents itself. We had pasta for lunch at a member's house and I about screamed I was so happy! PASTA! It was really good too! 

Also, I made french toast for my companion and she's hooked! We're getting more stuff for french toast after we finish emails.

Language:
Slowly but surely my language is coming. I really do see it improve each day and it's comforting to know that as I pray for the Gift of Tongues and do everything in my power to learn the language, that Heavenly Father will bless me. I've been called to serve here for a reason. I've been told countless times that we are called to serve in the language that we can best testify in. I know that that has to be true, or else I would not be called to preach the gospel in Portuguese.

I love it here! I love being a missionary! It's an expereince and opportunity I wouldn't trade for the world!

Challenge:
Read Alma 5 this week! It's the best! The entire Book of Mormon is, but I fell in love with Alma 5 this week! Let me know what you think!

Love you all!

Amo Sempre, 
Sister McEldowney

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the keeper of this blog -

RE: Investigators
We got a, "ehh, mais ou menos. Eu vou ficar em minha igreja."
My husband's boss also served a mission in Brazil so we asked him to translate. He said that basically this means, "It was okay, but I have my own church."

RE: Language
I really do see it improve each day and it's comforting to know that as I pray for the Gift of Tongues and do everything in my power to learn the language, that Heavenly Father will bless me.

In the New Testament, Acts 1, Jesus tells the Apostles that they are to be witnesses of him "unto the uttermost part of the earth" and then returns to his Father in heaven. In Acts 2 the apostles attend Pentecost in Jerusalem and begin the mission that He gave them. The scriptures record -

And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilæans?
And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judæa, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
Acts 2:4-11

This is the gift of tongues to which Kayla refers. It is a gift given to someone so that they can communicate the gospel of Jesus Christ in a language that they do not speak so that those who hear can understand. It does not always come right away and most often must be worked for, however, as Kayla says, her acquisition of Portuguese seems to be accelerated. I met missionaries on my mission who testified of the exact same thing. 

RE: Challenge
Read Alma 5 this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment