Thursday, July 23, 2015

Heavenly Father Knows Us So Well!

This week has been great and I'm going to skip the fluff and get right to it!

Monday:
Mondays are the best and the worst. I love P-Day. A time to recover from the week and prepare for the craziness that lies ahead. When my companion and I have conversations about music and movies and books and other things about home, being trunky makes Mondays so much harder. Mas, tuda bem! I'm still here and loving it!

Also, I ate brigadeiro which is the greatest thing ever! So easy to make and so much deliciousness! Is it any surprise that food is my favorite part so far? Actually, for the sake of my self-worth, don't answer that.

Tuesday:
District meeting! I love district meetings so much! They give me the spiritual boost I need every week. Our district is pretty great too. È bom!

We have a new investigator named Daniel who is so great! We met him during a district meeting "challenge" to teach a lesson using O Livro de Mórmon (The Book of Mormon)! Thank you New Hampshire Manchester Mission for teaching me how to do that!

Also, the ônibus drove right in front of me in the middle of my contact, so that was a nice story to tell the district leader that night! Leave it to Sister Macky!

Wednesday:
I shared a message at a member meal for the first time! Alma 37:45. So great! My language is nowhere near where I want it to be, but it's coming quickly.

Also, I rode the ônibus for the first time and didn't die! Next step, sharing a message from the front of the bus.

Thursday:
I had pizza pastel which was so good! My companion loves food as much as I do, so trying all the good Brazilian food is the top of her "to-do" list for me! I love it!

Friday:
I had a Brazilian churro and it was basically heaven in my mouth! I love love love it! It was filled with chocolate and had sprinkles on top! SPRINKLES!

I also got hit on by a drunk man. He told me he loved me. Is this normal? I hope not! So much awkward!

Saturday:
Some pretty great lessons! The people are so great here! They always point out that I'm americana and can't speak well yet, but it's fine. I'm further in my language than I thought I would be after being in the country for 2 weeks.

Sunday:
Sundays are slow, but church was good. I'm understanding more and more which makes me so happy! 

Brazil is great and I'm so blessed to be serving here!

I love you all!

Sister Macky
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the keeper of this blog -

RE: Monday
"...being trunky makes Mondays so much harder."

I do not know if the term "trunky" exists anywhere but the LDS mission culture so forgive me if telling you that it means longing to be home almost to the point of distraction is redundant. Typically it is applied to missionaries who are within a month or two of going home. That particular time frequently presents the need to redouble ones efforts to focus and work hard until the very end which can prove difficult, but certainly not impossible.

"I ate brigadeiro which is the greatest thing ever!"

I found a blog entry that offers a good description of brigadeiros and gives a recipe too -


RE: Wednesday
"I shared a message at a member meal for the first time! Alma 37:45."

It is common, mostly expected, when missionaries eat with members that they share a spiritual thought before they leave. Kayla shared Alma 37:45, a Book of Mormon scripture. I've included it below -

"And now I say, is there not a type in this thing? For just as surely as this director did bring our fathers, by following its course, to the promised land, shall the words of Christ, if we follow their course, carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise."

A little background -
The first part of this verse is referring back to earlier Book of Mormon history when Nephi and his family came from the Holy Land via ship to the Americas - the promised land - promised  as a place of habitation to those who would follow God's commandments. Commanded by God to leave before the first destruction of Jerusalem, the Lord provided them a compass-like instrument, director, called the Liahona to help them get there. It worked only according to their faithful righteousness to the commandments of God.

Churro!

Brasil is so beautiful!









No comments:

Post a Comment