Thursday, April 16, 2015

I'm 1 Month Old!

Hello again people!
 
Can you believe it's already been another week? The weeks pass so quickly when you're on a mission! I'm already a month old! In mission terms, it means I've been out for a month. Eu estou uma campista feliz!
 
Anywho, on to my weekly update!
 
Tuesday:
Man, oh man, do I have a story for all of you! So, for those of you who don't know, there is a very strict missionary rule about interactions with the opposite sex, mainly it means no hugging (and kissing but that's kind of implied if you can't even hug). So, being the person I am, that's been a really difficult rule. It's even worse when you're around elders all the time and you get close and can only give them handshakes! Entao, tanto faz. Well, we were at dinner on this lovely Tuesday and my friend, who is an elder, was telling us a story about how his brother came home from his mission and his girlfriend was at the airport and he couldn't hug her because he hadn't been released as a missionary. Well, my friend was taunting his brother and giving his brother's girlfriend hugs and stuff, but he accidentally used me as an example and hugged me!!!!!! It was so weird! We laughed so hard though because we both freaked out. Missionary awkwardness has kicked in already! Guess I'm officially a missionary now!
 
Wednesday:
It snowed! What the what?! It was snowing pretty much all day too!
 
Guess what else though! OUR DISTRICT GOT TO HOST! Basically hosting just means we greet the new missionaries, take them away from their families and get them started on their life as a missionary. It's so fun and we get to do it again this week! Dia feliz!
 
Oh yeah, and I'm getting better at volleyball, so that's fun.
 
Thursday:
Lesson flop Thursday. Is that a thing yet? Well, it is for Sister Aston and me at least! Tuda bem! We've recovered (:
 
We, as a district, also received some awesome scriptures about overcoming weakness.

Moses 6:31-34
Moses 7:13
1Nefi 3:7
1Nefi 17:50-51
Filipenses 4:13
Mat 19:26
Mark 5:36
 
Sorry, I know I'm mixing Portuguese and English, but my brain is in that transition period!
 
Friday:
WE TAUGHT A LESSON TO SOMEONE IN BRAZIL! We got to do a lesson over Skype with someone who lives in the state of Porte Alegre and we understood him and he understood us and it was awesome! Oh my goodness! It still makes me happy just thinking about it!
 
Alright, Portuguese is officially the celestial language! PORTUGUESE DOESN'T END WITH PREPOSITIONS!! Dia feliz; tuda bem!
 
Saturday:
Never. Ending. Day. 
 
Seriously, it went on forever! My bed had never been so enticing.
 
Sunday:
We watched Joseph Smith (the movie about his life) in Portuguese and I understood about 3/4 of it! I got the gist of the entire movie and was stoked! Yay for Portuguese! 
 
In case it wasn't obvious, I'm loving Portuguese! I thank Heavenly Father every day for the opportunity I have to not only serve a mission, but learn a language that is so beautiful. I'm so blessed!
 
Monday:
Surprise! Another boring Monday hahaha!
 
I do have an invitation for all of you though. Read Mark 9: 22-23. In our zone, we have a motto: "hoje consegue." Techincally it's "hoje pode," but that's the wrong form of the verb haha. Anyway, it means "today, you can."
 
I know that there are some really rough days, sometimes even rough weeks, but you can get through them. We have all been given trials, but Heavenly Father will never give us anything that we can't handle. Everything you go through is only to help you grow and get on the path back to Him.
 
I know that we are all children of God. Heavenly Father knows each of His children, us, individually and is aware of us. 
 
Estou muito grato por a opportunidade para servir Ele for 18 mezes. I am grateful that I get to spend a portion of my life being a full-time representative of Jesus Cristo. 
 
I love you all so much and am so grateful to have people in my life who care enough about me to read about my uneventful life haha.
 
I hope each and every one of you has a wonderful week and can see the hand of God in your life!
 
Amo sempre,
Sister McEldowney

--------------------

From the keeper of this blog -

RE: Thursday

The apostle Paul taught in 2 Corinthians 13:1, "In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established." He was referring to the fact that this was his third visit to the saints in Corinth. Today The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints adheres closely to this doctrine. That is why, for example, missionaries go in companionships and not alone. It also applies to our scriptures. In addition to the Bible, we also utilize the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, the Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price to support one another in testifying of Christ and His role in our lives by clearly establishing His doctrine. That being said, in Thursday's entry Kayla includes some references that you may not be familiar with. I've included them below along with the book that they are found in.

Moses 6:31-34 (The Pearl of Great Price)

31 And when Enoch had heard these words, he bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?
 32 And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good.
 33 Say unto this people: Choose ye this day, to serve the Lord God who made you.
 34 Behold my Spirit is upon you, wherefore all thy words will I justify; and the mountains shall flee before you, and the rivers shall turn from their course; and thou shalt abide in me, and I in you; therefore walk with me.

Moses 7:13 (The Pearl of Great Price)

 13 And so great was the faith of Enoch that he led the people of God, and their enemies came to battle against them; and he spake the word of the Lord, and the earth trembled, and the mountains fled, even according to his command; and the rivers of water were turned out of their course; and the roar of the lions was heard out of the wilderness; and all nations feared greatly, so powerful was the word of Enoch, and so great was the power of the language which God had given him.

1 Nefi (Nephi) 3:7 (The Book of Mormon)

 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

1 Nefi (Nephi) 17:50-51 (The Book of Mormon)

 50 And I said unto them: If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done.
 51 And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me, that I should build a ship?

Filipenses (Philippians) 4:13 (The New Testament)

13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
 
Mat (Matthew) 19:26 (The New Testament)

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Mark 5:36 (The New Testament)

36 As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment