Wednesday, April 8, 2015

FOUR weeks in the MTC, THREE, TWO days of General Conference, and ONE happy Sister Missionary

Hello outside world!
 
Well, outside of the MTC at least! Let me tell you, 6 weeks in this bubble is testing my patience. I do love it here though and get so sad thinking about leaving. You never could have told me I'd love the MTC this much!
 
Ok, and before I forget, did anyone see the eerie similarity that picture I sent last week had to Andy Samberg?! It was crazy! Sister Aston and I had to do a double take! 
 
Oh, and thank you to everyone who writes me! I have so little time to email that I can't get back to everyone, but I do read them and I appreciate the thoughts (:
 
Anyway, we'll get on to the "exciting" part of this e-mail:
 
Tuesday:
#TempleTuesday
Never a disappointment! I participated in family sealings this past week and was proxy for a daughter being sealed to her family for eternity. Such a beautiful ceremony and one I am so grateful I was able to be a part of. I love the temple so much!
 
We also had a really neat devotional, but due to time restraints I have basically no time to write about it. I'll let you all in on a little secret too. I don' t have my notebook with me so I don't think I could tell you what it was about even if I wanted to hahaha
 
Wednesday:
WE GOT A NEW DISTRICT! They're seriously so great and I love them to death! I loved being able to welcome them and ease them into their MTC stay. I just love them and don't even know what else to say about them!
 
They're also the most exciting thing about Wednesday, so, sorry about that let down!
 
Thursday:
It snowed. What the what?! It's April and it snowed. It didn't stick, but goodness gracious, it was FREEZING that day! Brrr!!!
 
Nothing too eventful happened on Thursday either, sorry people!
 
Friday:
Alright, so maybe Thursday did have on relatively eventful thing. Sister Aston and I have a really difficult investigator we're teaching and on Thursday we just lost everything, or so it seemed. We were so stoked; we taught the Plan of Salvation and were so prepared. Then out of nowhere, we weren't. Neither of us felt great about the lesson, but we didn't know where to go with it, so we pushed through. Anyway, we cried it our after we got back to the residence halls, but it was still weighing on my mind all night and into the next morning. I got to class the next morning and we have additional study time from 7-7:45 and I prayed so hard that Heavenly Father would help comfort me. All of a sudden Alma 37:16 popped into my head. The only time I had ever read that scripture was when I was reading through the Book of Mormon just to read it. It was amazing how much I needed it. Talk about Heavenly Father answering prayers!
 
"But if ye keep the commandments of God, and do with these things which are sacred according to that which the Lord doth command you, (for you must appeal unto the Lord for all things whatsoever ye must do with them) behold, no power of earth or hell can take them from you, for God is powerful to the fulfilling of all his words." Alma 37:16
 
I can testify that no matter how long or short the prayer is, no matter how big or small the issue may seem, Heavenly Father hears our prayers and answers them. I am so grateful for that!
 
Saturday and Sunday:
Conference! So great! 
 
If I haven't already asked you, what was your favorite talk from General Conference?
 
Monday:
Not much happened yesterday either. 
 
Oh wait, Sister Aston and I taught an awesome lesson (that got paused and will resume on Thursday) about the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
 
I also figured out that I can't think in Spanish anymore and my brain only goes to Portuguese. Remind me to tell that story when I'm home. Or next week...whichever I guess haha!
 
Anyway, I'm out of time! I love you all so much!
 
Have a great week!
 
Amo sempre,
Sister McEldowney
 
PS. Sorry for the lack of pictures. I'll do my best to send some next week!
 
----------
From the keeper of this blog:
RE: #TempleTuesday
Temples sometimes prove to be a bit of a mystery for some who are not members of the church. The Mormon.org information below may help you understand what Kayla’s referring to when she says, “I participated in family sealings this past week and was proxy for a daughter being sealed to her family for eternity.” In short, civil marriage ceremonies typically bind a couple “until death do you part.” Temple marriages seal the couple for time and all eternity. For those who die without being able to be sealed together, marriage terminates at death. The Lord has provided a way for us, the living, to stand in their place (proxy) so that they may be sealed for time and all eternity too.
Mormon.org says -
“Temples are houses of the Lord, the most sacred structures on the earth….
In temples, Church members participate in ordinances designed to unite their families together forever and help them return to God.
In the temple, members:
©       Learn eternal truths.
©       Receive sacred ordinances, including [the sealing ordinance] that bind[s] husband and wife together for eternity, as well as [sealing] children and parents [for eternity] (Malachi 4:5-6).
©       Provide ordinances such as baptism for those who have died without the opportunity to receive the gospel of Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:29; 1 Peter 4:6)”
RE: Saturday and Sunday – Conference! So great!
Every April and October, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints holds General Conference. We don’t attend our regular church meetings and instead participate in a broadcast from church headquarters in which the Prophet, Twelve Apostles, and other church leadership address church members. It is comprised of 6 sessions and is filled with great council and direction. Kayla obviously loves it! If you’d like to learn more about the one we just had the link is below.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment