Tuesday, January 5, 2016

"...when ye are in the service of your fellow beings..."

Service is the best! Honestly, it was the perfect way to start off my year!

This year has a lot of things that are going to happen! I've decided that I'm not going to let any opportunity pass through my fingers. These are the last months that I have to be a missionary, which is super bittersweet. As happy as I am that I get to see my family and friends this year, I've realized that I absolutely love this work. I love being a missionary and the thought of leaving the mission field brings a lot of emotions to my heart. For now though, I'm here and I'm doing the work of the Lord. I'm exactly where He needs me to be and I couldn't be more happy about that. One day my mission will be 18 months of memories, and I don't want one regret to be mixed in with those memories!

Anyway, back to my awesome service opportunity! We split the ward I'm in with two other sisters and we're like a family here. We help each other in whatever way we can. Well, they have a family they're teaching that was in desperate need of help--foodwise--and as 20 year old missionaries, we couldn't help much on our own. We talked with the bishop and with the President of Relief Society and with their help and the help of the amazing members in Morrinhos, we were able to help them beyond what we thought was possible. It was truly incredible.
As we participated in this project, I remembered a scripture-Mosiah 2:17.

And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

I have such a strong testimony of service. I know for a fact that when we are serving others, serving those who are children of God just like each of is, we are serving our Heavenly Father. I love the feeling of giving service and invite all of you to search for opportunities to serve the people around you every day.

Have a great week!

Amo Sempre,
Sister McEldowney

-----------------

From the keeper of this blog -

The Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints "is the oldest and largest women's organization in the world." (see https://www.mormon.org/faq/relief-society) Today there are over 5.5 million women in 170 countries who are members. Understanding the history of its development may help you understand why Kayla and her fellow missionaries approached both the Bishop and the Relief Society president to get help for the family above. There's a link below.

The Relief Society


No comments:

Post a Comment