Sunday, November 22, 2015

A Week of Changes

Hey y'all!

I've been missing my country music like crazy this week. This whole 8 months on a mission thing is starting to take its toll on me. BUT, I love love love my mission, so it's worth giving up music and a normal life for 18 months.

Anyway, this week has definitely been interesting. Like I told y'all last week, we had transfers. My new companion is Sister Dávalos! She's from Lima, Peru and is super sweet. We're very different, but we're definitely making things work. Different isn't always bad! It's working to our advantage because...WE HAVE TWO BAPTISMS THIS WEEK! Holy cow! I'm so stinking happy! We had an amazing experience with them that I'm going to share with you all.

So the two baptisms are two young men who are grandsons of our recent convert. Anyway, the older of the two asked us why he needed to be baptized if he was already baptized in the Catholic Church. I have been scared to death to answer that question since the MTC. I truly didn't know how to answer, but I knew that I needed to say something. Also, I know that prayer goes a long way! I said a silent prayer as I thought about how to respond. Let me tell you all something: it may have been a silent prayer, but I was pleading for help. As we like to say in Portuguese, "socorro, socorro!" It was much needed in that moment. Anyway, as I silently screamed for relief, words started to come out of my mouth. The Spirit not only gave me the words to say, but helped me to gain a testimony I didn't know I had.

As missionaries, we invite all people to be baptized. We know that it is through baptism that we follow the example of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and enter in the gate on our path back to our Heavenly Home. I knew that, but I didn't know how to explain to this 15 year old why we were asking him to change his life. I understand now.

In Mathew 3 we read ,
"13 ¶Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

 14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

 15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

 16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

 17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

Do you know why Jesus went to John the Baptist? Because he had the authority to baptize. So, there's one thing. In order for us to follow in Christ's path, we need to be baptized by someone who has the authority. 

Another thing. How was Christ baptized? By immersion. It's only logical. In order for someone to come up straightway from water, they have to be completely immersed. Point number two: we have need to be baptized by immersion. 

The last thing I said? Well, this is one of my favorites. We need to know what we're doing. Christ made the decision and we need to as well.

I'm out of time, but I want you all to know that I know this is the Church of Jesus Christ on the earth today. I know that there are men on the earth right now who have the authority to act in God's name and to baptize in the same way that Jesus Christ was baptized.

I'm out of time but love you all!

Have a great week!

Amo Sempre,
Sister McEldowney

No comments:

Post a Comment