Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Wait Is Over!

Most people love summer, right? They wish it could last forever? Wrong! Summer 2014 had to be the longest summer of my life (literally and figuratively). In high school I would have killed for a 5 month summer, but college changes things. . . especially when you're preparing for a mission! 

I hadn't even been away from school for 12 hours when it hit me that I was supposed to start preparing for a mission. Finally knowing that I was preparing for something I wanted to do so badly was the greatest end-of-the-semester gift I could have asked for. I was through the roof! 

When I got back home, I started getting more and more excited. I told my parents that I had a desire to serve and talked to my bishop as soon as I could after that. I started my missionary recommendation and the preparation began! I knew I would be leaving in January at the earliest, so I wouldn't know where I was called until September at the earliest. Little did I know I would end up waiting 2 extra months!

I'll save you all the boring details and get right down to it, after months of delays, I finally turned my mission papers in on October 28, 2014!

My mission call had FINALLY arrived!
I was one of those lucky people who only waited 9 days for their call to be assigned, sent, and arrive in my mailbox. November 6, 2014, was the day I had been anticipating since that brisk April night so long before.

I remember shaking as I opened the mailbox. I was terrified my mission call would not be in there. I wish I could say that I opened the box slowly to savor the moment, but I would be lying if I did. I threw that sucker open and screamed when I saw that beautiful white envelope with my name on it. Yes, I literally screamed. I just had to wait 8 hours to open it. . ..

All day I was antsy and would not let my call leave my hands. Eight hours is a long time to wait to find out where you'll be spending 18 months of your life! Who could blame me for being so excited?

When 8 o'clock finally rolled around I had my family and two close friends on Skype, plus the people I cared about most at school. Opening my mission call was all I hoped for and more!

Brazil Santos Mission, here I come!
Dear Sister McEldowney,
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Brazil Santos Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.

Brazil! I'm going to Brazil and speaking Portuguese! The wait is finally over!

I am so excited to be able to serve the Lord and the people of Brazil. I know the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. It has brought me so much joy in my life and I can't wait to share that joy with others. 

See ya soon Brazil!
Love always,
Sister McEldowney

No comments:

Post a Comment