Thursday, May 14, 2015

Two Months Old! What the What?!

I'm officially two months old...as of today! How did that even happen?! I only have 16 months left of my mission! Wow! Talk about crazy! Time flies!

This week has been one for the books! Granted, most weeks as a missionary are, just with miracles alone, but this week has been pretty crazy. Well, parts of it at least. Just read, you'll realize what I mean haha!

Monday:
We taught one of our investigators after P-Day was over. It went really well! We love him!

Tuesday:
After a million and one years, I finally finished the book of Alma in the Book of Mormon! That sucker is long and has awesome stories! I love love love it! I mean, I love the entire Book of Mormon, but Alma holds a special place in my heart. Even more so considering my missionary scripture is in there! Alma 29:9. One of the best in my opinion!

Our investigator, Aaron, had his baptismal interview today and it went so well! He's so prepared and we are beyond stoked! 

Wednesday:
We had bomb ice cream and that was pretty much the highlight of the day. 

We also talked to quite a few people and that always makes my day.

Thursday:
We did so much service today! It was insane! We went to the thrift shop to try to get more service, we did service at the soup kitchen, and we did service at a member's home. Craziness! We basically didn't talk to anyone or teach any lessons because of all the service, but it was so fun!

We ate lunch at the park which was super nice. It was pretty hot, but we managed to enjoy our time outside regardless of the weather. 'Twas grand!

Friday:
Normally Fridays are pretty uneventful because we do weekly planning in the morning, but this week was pretty different. It has to be when you find ticks in your apartment! I cried, well, almost.

So yeah, we found three ticks in our apartment and were panicking all day because of it! Ticks are scary! They're ugly little buggers too! They won't die, so we decided to trap them under jars and wait until we knew what to do with them.

We had to leave them there, too, because we had service at the animal shelter that day. Guess what! One of the dogs had ticks when we got there! We can't escape them!

We dreaded going home and were absolutely terrified. Ticks will do that to you. They make a sane person go crazy. Welcome to my life.

My lovely companion and I basically cried ourselves to sleep that night. UPDATE: We're still alive and kicking!

Saturday:
We had some appointments. I met some more people. You know, the usual thing.

Oh! I did sing in Portuguese for Aaron, so that was awesome! Have I mentioned lately how much I love and miss Portuguese?

Sunday:
Finally had a normal Sunday! That wasn't even the most exciting part though!

I GOT TO SKYPE HOME! Let me tell all of you, I have never appreciated Skype more than on my mission. Seeing my favorite people was the greatest thing ever! I didn't want it to end, but exact obedience is the key to miracles. I love my family and friends so much! Truly, I wouldn't be where I am without them and seeing their faces yesterday was a gentle reminder of that.

As for all of your I didn't get to see, I appreciate you as well! The various ways you've supported me over the years gave not gone unnoticed. You all mean so much to me and I treasure whatever kind of relationship it is we have.

I'd like to challenge everyone to think about their moms and other mom figures in their life and write down some of the numerous positive qualities they have. Look at that list and really think about how amazing they are. These women sacrifice so much for us and they only get one day a year!

The qualities you find are ones I'd invite you to strive to have. I know that there are so many qualities I have picked out and will always be striving to obtain.

Also, read Proverbs 3:15. I'm pretty sure it's indirectly talking about moms!

So anyway, happy mother's day to all those amazing moms!

Have a great week!

Amo sempre!
Sister McEldowney

PS. Ticks are UGLY! This one is named Lyme ;)


From the keeper of this blog -
RE: Tuesday

"Alma holds a special place in my heart. Even more so considering my missionary scripture is in there! Alma 29:9."

Before a missionary leaves on their mission, their Bishop asks them to identify a scripture that they feel defines their mission. That scripture, typically along with a picture of the missionary, is put on a plaque and hung in the church building during the term of that missionaries' service.  Kayla chose Alma 29:9 to be hers. It reads -

I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

Also regarding Tuesday -

"Our investigator, Aaron, had his baptismal interview today..."

When someone has been meeting with the missionaries and desires to be baptized they are required to complete a baptismal interview to ensure that they have been taught and understand the doctrine that they are embracing as well as the requirements of the baptismal covenants. I have included a link to the book Preach My Gospel which missionaries use to direct their missionary work. It describes in detail the reasons for the baptismal interview.

Preach My Gospel: How Do I Prepare People for Baptism and Confirmation?

RE: Sunday

"I GOT TO SKYPE HOME! "

Missionaries have very strict requirements regarding their contact with family and friends. Once a week, on p-day, they are allowed and are expected to write home. Twice a year, on Mother's Day and Christmas Day, they are allowed to Skype/call home for 30 minutes. To some this strict limitation may seem brutal, but speaking from a missionary point of view it is necessary to help you keep your focus. It is so nice to see/hear your family, but it takes awhile to recover from the after effects of those calls when you go back to a stark, empty apartment while your family are all together at home. For the moms and dads, however, there is great comfort in seeing/hearing your child and getting actual confirmation that they are well. Now I understand both perspectives I see more clearly the inspired nature of the missionary program's structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment